Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Swimming

Mom and I got swim passes yesterday and this morning, at 6, we got up and headed to the Indoor Aquatic Center. The dawn was barely tinting to the east, a rosey blush of morning. I am not what you would call a morning person. I had some points to keep me from going:
-People will see how fat I am.
-It's cold outside.
-The water's cold.
-Etc.

Now I've got some counter points.
-Seeing that the rest of the swimmers were over the age of 55 and just as merrily plump, there's no need to fuss.
-Wear a freakin' sweater and a hat.
-If you jump in and just start swimming, you warm up dang fast.
-Shut up and just do it.

Mom and I got 26 laps in plus two (or was it four?) walking laps. Just to chat, you know because there's no chatting when there's half a lap between you and you're busy not getting chlorine water in your eyes, nose, and mouth.

This exercise was a real boost in my humor. I'm in a great mood and I look forward to swimming again with mom in the wee hours of the morning. It makes me appreciate this life, this body, this day that I am given.

P.S. Mom's an awesome swimmer and a real powerhouse.

0 comments: