Monday, August 20, 2007

Where is it hiding?

Jen brought up an awesome link to an article (I should install Haloscan on this blog too since I can't email anyone back when they comment) about how there can be just as many calories, if not more, in fast food salads.

The thing is, where are those calories coming from? Let's take my favorite, the Mandarin Chicken Salad from Wendy's. Mmm, juicy mandarins, tender chicken, and a decent amount of dark greens (I could use some tomatoes, too, but whatever). So, increased sugar, sure, in the mandarins. But c'mon, that's barely half a point there. Chicken? I get the grilled or non-crispy version. Lots of healthy protein and it *seems* lean enough, haven't been inundated with grease or fat in a single one. But the calories? They're in the side packets. Every salad comes with a packet of "Crispy Noodles" and "Almonds" (generally very salty ones too) and a tremendous dose of their Asian Dressing. Ugh! That's how they get to be just as bad as a 1/4 pounder with fries and a coke. I leave off the noodles and the almonds and use only half the salad dressing and it's only, I think, 5-6 points that way.

However, considering the options along the way, perhaps I'm better off just making a loaf of bread before we leave and bringing it, along with some lovely deli meat and a little mustard and lots of fruit. That's better eats there.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'd not even thought of that. I rarely do the dressing in fast food salads though - I ADORE the little spray-bottles they have now, but if you're a fan of anything creamy, they probably just don't do it for you!