Friday, September 14, 2007

Broken.

I thought that I'd make Friday my Last Chance Before Weigh-In day. I ate well, I did my strength exercises and I decided that to really cinch it, I would take a walk on the treadmill.

So I turned on House M.D. with subtitles and volume off, turned on my iPod and started off at the usual 3.0 mph setting. But about five minutes in I thought, y'know, I really ought to kick it up a notch. And so I boldly increased speed by 0.2. 3.2 mph and I was flying. But then something odd began to happen. First there was a rubbing noise. I thought I just wasn't picking up my feet enough so I worked on that but it didn't help. "Something's caught underneath" I thought to myself and figured I'd look into it when I was done walking.

Then the speed started subtly fluctuating. It was a little like walking on ice, actually. Or wet pavement. Or gravel. "Huh, that's not supposed to happen" but I figured it was just getting old.

And then it happened. With a loud CLUNK!, the tension went out on the band, I might as well had been walking on a cotton blanket laid on a marble hall. "CRAP!" I jumped right off the thing as House continued to consider the implications of a woman with an allergy that was kicking her right in the uterus (you've seen that one, right? With the nun?) and came to my own conclusions.

I broke the stinkin' treadmill. Well, if that ain't just a blow to the ego. Dad thinks he can fix it but we'll see.

In the meantime, I got 35 minutes in at least. Never did get to see House fix the nun but I've seen it before.

0 comments: